Toneelacademie Maastricht organises compulsory two-day selection courses to assess whether you have the required talent and potential for the profession. These are held every spring before the start of the academic year in question. The selection course consists of two parts and several homework assignments.
13, 14, 15 May 2020
• You will present a monologue of your choice
• An acting lesson: you will carry out various improvisation assignments under the guidance of an acting lecturer.
• Theatre-making rehearsal: you will work on a prepared scene or performance with your fellow candidates.
• Voice test: together, we will explore the potential of your speaking voice and ear for music.
You will prepare the monologue presentation. You will also be given a theatre-making assignment and a short assignment for the voice test.
After this part, we will let you know by e-mail whether you have been admitted to part 2 of the selection course. On request, each candidate who was not admitted will be given individual oral feedback.
Two consecutive days: 1 day + evening and 1 day
Wednesday 24 + Thursday 25 June 2020
Wednesday 1 and Thursday 2 July 2020
• Directing assignment: you will be given an excerpt from a play for which you will prepare a direction plan at home. During the directing lesson, you will be given rehearsal time with your actors, followed by the presentation of your scene. Afterwards, you will discuss the presentation with your acting lecturer and a theatre lecturer.
• Acting assignment: you will rehearse and play a dramatic scene based on a drama text selected by the academy. The lecturer will cast the roles and coach the actors.
• Free assignment: You will present something that you want to share with us and that you feel is not addressed elsewhere in the selection process. This assignment is not assessed, but will help us to build a fuller picture of you.
• Movement lesson: You will explore your potential for physical expression under the guidance of a movement lecturer
• Voice lesson: You will explore your vocal qualities under the guidance of a voice lecturer
To be prepared at home: the directing assignment and the free assignment.
After this second part, we will let you know by e-mail whether you have been admitted to the part-time T&D programme. On request, each candidate who was not admitted will be given individual oral feedback.