Before anything else, the Toneelacademie Maastricht, sees the Teacher as an artist.
If you already have your licensed Bachelor’s degree as an actor, director or performer, you can gain the necessary qualification to teach drama by taking this one-year post-graduate course (PAO).
The program consists of two phases: the main phase and the final (graduation) phase. The study load for the year is full-time (60 ECTS credits).
The Teacher program is a 1-year parttime program, one day a week on Fridays.
After successfully completing the program, you will have the qualification needed to teach in all years and all types of secondary education (and also outside a school setting, including in the context of arts and cultural education). This is a “Bachelor after Bachelor” programme.
You will learn
• how to use your artistry as a teacher
• how to create and give lessons to adults, young people, and children;
• how to develop your own approach and style as a teacher;
• how to integrate drama lessons with other artistic disciplines;
• how to make a special, valuable, and personal contribution to quality and innovation in arts education, both in a school setting and elsewhere.
Because you already have your degree in acting, directing or performing, those subjects are not included in the curriculum for the program.
• You can deploy your own skills as an actor, director, or performer in your work as a teacher;
• You have your own independent attitude and approach to drama education in general and to your own teaching in particular;
• You can make use of a variety of educational methods and can apply them to a whole range of different groups of people;
• You have a good overview of the whole of arts and culture education, and can position yourself in that context as a teacher;
• You are able to create quality and to innovate in teaching.